Ever wonder what Botox is and how it actually works? Read for the nitty gritty PLUS pro tips...
All wrinkle relaxers use the same active ingredient, a purified protein, Botulinum toxin type A (BoNTA). At the cellular level, the BoNTA protein blocks chemical signals from nerves that cause the muscles to contract, therefore causing temporary paralysis/relaxation of the muscles. When injected in facial muscles it can reduce fine line and wrinkles by stopping the movement of the muscle underlying the skin. The lack of muscle contraction prevents the formation of lines/wrinkles and it also allows the overlying skin time to repair resulting in smoother skin for 3-4 months.
Pro Tip: BoNTA (aka "Botox") has been used for years in the medical field to treat various conditions including but not limited to: muscle spasms, chronic migraines, excessive sweating, and disorders of movement. We do some of these treatments here at SkinCoLAB! Give us a call and we can help answer any questions you may have!
There are multiple types of wrinkle relaxers. We hear people use Botox as the “go to” name for wrinkle relaxers, like "Kleenex" for facial tissues. Did you know that SkinCoLAB has access and experience with every FDA approved wrinkle relaxer on the market? Each brand has minor differences, but ultimately they all use the same active ingredient, a purified protein, Botulinum toxin type A (BoNTA). Our master injectors as SkinCoLAB can help determine what wrinkle relaxer will be best for your skincare needs!
Jen, NP-BC's tips to know about your wrinkle relaxer treatment:
1. It can take up to a full 2 weeks until complete effect is achieved.
2. We start with a conservative amount and can always add more if residual movement remains after a couple weeks.
3. Wrinkle relaxers lasts on average for 3-4 months but vary between individuals based on many different factors.
4. Your muscles will not be fully frozen for a full 3-4 months! We like to say it’s similar to a dimmer switch that gradually goes into effect 2-weeks after injection, then maintains peak effect for a few weeks, then gradually returns to full movement by 3-4 months.
5. Not every treatment will provide the same results even with the same dosing.
6. Wrinkle relaxers are a drug and do not work the same in each patient as every person is different. This is why it is important to see a skilled, certified, medical professional trained specifically in aesthetics to dose and administer your wrinkle relaxer that is best suited for you.
Visit the board-certified skin experts at SkinCoLab. We will develop an aesthetic prescription suited just for you!